Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Real Knitters

I was wearing a sweater that I made to work the other day and someone asked me who made it for me. I replied with “Yes, I made it for me!” Their response was, “Oh, I didn’t know you were a real knitter.”

I was not sure how to respond to that. What makes someone a real knitter? What is a real knitter? Isn’t someone who knits a knitter? Are there levels to knitting? Is there a certain point that you cross over from non-knitter to knitter? Is it when you cast on the first stitch? Or is it after you have completed a project?

A real knitter, in my mind is a person who knits. Whether they have knit endless amounts of projects or have only knit a few. If you have started and completed several projects, you are a knitter. Just like I would not say because I went on one bike ride with my children, that I am a biker.

If knitting is something that you are passionate about and that you engage in on a continuous basis, you research new patterns to knit and you stop by LYS and other crafting stores to purchase yarn and other notions to knit with, you are a knitter. If your family and friends know that the best gift to give you is yarn, needles or other notions, you are a knitter.

Am I a real knitter? I engage in the activity almost daily. So yes, I am a real knitter!

What makes you a real knitter?

No comments:

Post a Comment