Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Guilty Mind

Recently, my addiction to knitting has made me feel guilty. Very guilty. First, I feel as though I am never going to win the Mother of the Year award as long as I continue to knit. My daughter, my poor thirsty daughter, came to me the other night and asked me if I could “Please”, get her a drink of pink milk. Well, after the Please was added with out having to ask her for it, I felt I should get it for her right away. So I told her that I absolutely would get her a drink, and I loved the way she asked. (At this point I had just started a row of 85 stitches that included several yos, k2togs, purls and stitch markers.) I kindly mentioned that I needed to finish my row quick and I would be right with her. She said “OK” and stood there, staring at me as I worked on my row. Several times asking me how many more stitches? A little bit later, I finished my row and automatically started the next row. Without thinking, my dear thirsty daughter stands before me waiting for me to get her a drink and I started the next row. I had shocked myself and felt very guilty. I continued to knit into this next row of stitches wrestling in my mind whether I should carefully put down my project and get my polite, patient daughter a drink, or make her wait for another row, putting my knitting before her. Guilt! Guilt! Guilt!

Next, on another note, I have knit many projects for family and friends, and a multitude for myself. I enjoy looking through patterns and thinking who it would be perfect for; my children, my husband, a friend or myself. Someone had mentioned several different charities for which they knit. After much thought, I had not knit for any charities, ever. Does that make me a terrible person? I have knit scarves, hats, mittens and sweaters for my children. Hats for my hubby. Shawls, lap-robes, hats, scarves, golf club covers, and the list goes on for friends and extended family. I have NEVER knit for a charity. I have read about them and looked into them, however never once knit a stitch for one. Does this make me a terrible person? Should I extend my knitting to charities? Perhaps I will add charity knitting to my project list. Actually, I think I will. This way I can eliminate some of my guilt.

As for my children, and husband at times too, I think that it is something that they are very familiar with. Especially when my husband starts a request with, “When you are done with that row…” I guess I should not feel guilty about them waiting for one minute, or several minutes, while I finish a row. I could be doing something much worse than knitting that I make them wait for my attention. After all, most times I am working on items for them.

What makes you feel guilty about knitting? Is it a guilt that you can live with?

No comments:

Post a Comment